Jun 22, 2009

Kim Ok-Jin's silence

My roommate is leaving soon. What would it be like to live alone? Life will go on, for sure. Much more silence (is this even possible?) than now will be part of my life and me. but hopefully not too much solitude. Last year, my dad sent me a collection of poems from Korea written by an amateur poetess. Her name is Kim Ok-Jin, and she had written poems ever since becoming paralyzed (except arms, hands and above shoulder) from falling off a building by an accident when she was 17 yrs old. Her verses are not exactly artistic / poetic, but they are beautiful and truthful. What strikes me is her calmness in facing reality. Her calmness reflects anger and desperation on life - yet, I want to call it calmness because her poems are lively, and they are about love more than frustration. Let me translate my favorite of her poems:

Silence (or speechlessness)

 
I do not want to say I am sad
I do not want to say I am not well
I do not wan to say I am in love
I simply want to be silent
For speaking is like
the trembling of leaves
standing alone in deep forest
For speaking is like
the twinkling of stars that dimly flow
through the sky on dark sky at night
I cannot speak
I truly cannot speak
The reason why I cannot speak
is not because I've got a reason
The reason of not having a reason
is the reason of why I cannot speak.

For Ok-Jin,
speaking almost seems to be a solemn and painful moment of revealing her true feelings while not speaking (or being silent) seems to be equivalent of composing poems, a way she is comfortable with of opening up her true feelings. Her seemingly silent moment is therefore active and lively - through poems, she becomes real. I am with her in that silence is not always void of noise, and I also think vice versa. To create silence, noise can be effective! Ok-Jin may not agree with me since to her, noise (speaking) is inevitably associated with solitude.

In the epilogues, she says,

"At last, as starting to doing these (writing poems), I have come to realize I am not what I hate to be, namely
being alone. When I write and compose poems, in my work, there is always sound I desire, color I desire, and a correspondent I desire. For all these times, I have been speaking my mind to the correspondent. That was the way for me to win my solitude."

No comments:

Post a Comment