Jun 26, 2009

Jehovah's witness

For a little bit more than a day, I was surrounded by Jehovah's witnesses only. My original plan of "meeting up" my cousin's family, who flew from Korea for an international convention for Jehovah's witnesses, accidentally(?) ended up joining their tour of speculating activities of their "brothers and sisters" in the U.S.

Other than my initial discomfort from being told to change my pants to skirts, since skirts were considered appropriate and pants not (I find this more sexiest than religious), I felt home with them. They were warm-hearted people. They welcomed me even though it was apparent that I was not with them on their "Road to Truth." While I was translating English for them all day long at tour sites, they kept fanning my heated face and thanking me every five to ten minutes, which made me feel happy to do my job.

At the same time, I sensed a kind of indulgent sentiment, if not reserved heroism, in their stories of recollecting of fighting battles against non-Jehovah's witnesses who had prosecuted them for believing in the words of Jehovah. There is definitely history involved in this feeling, since in 1960s-80s, any liberal Korean citizen has suffered the severe military dictatorship for living upto one's ideology not only of religion but social, political, and cultural. As such suffering continues to happen today, only in milder ways (i.e. irrational criticism from other religious or non-religious group of ppl), their humble conviction in their religion seemed to be that they were at least on the right track!

Only because one does not have religion does NOT mean one is not serious about questioning what life is and should be. While Jehovah's witnesses have found an amazingly logical way of explaining life - they can find ALL ANSWERS to ALL QUESTIONS in the Bible, which is bound to generate the right answer, the Truth with capital T, I don't care to pin down the meaning of life because I like it undefined. For me, enjoying life has nothing to do with defining life. Besides, I am quiet serious in my effort to enjoy life. For instance, I go to bed knowing tomorrow will be a different day.!!

No comments:

Post a Comment