Apr 29, 2017

the immeasurable distance




They scan my body to provide me with security. But that's not my security. They scrutinize my private body parts as if their national security is up to the shape of my body. They sanitize my mentality by asking private questions such as "what is the relationship between you and your friend?" and intimidating as if the answer matters. What they are after is not my answer but the right attitude - the level of my obedience has become one of their criteria to measure the validity of my traveling. But that's not my security. Their questions are always legitimate because "there is no reason to be defensive about it unless you are hiding something." So I am a suspect if I refuse to answer 'their' questions for 'my' personal reasons. If i 'misbehave' or ask them back too many questions, they can give me 'the orange box,' which means i have been 'randomly' chosen for further scrutiny. But that's not 'my' security. When i request to be patted down in replacement of going through the full-body scanner, i am told that the airline might reject my boarding - the officer adds "i am giving you an option here." I was confused at first about what this option was - but now i get it. What he meant was either I put 'my' security at risk by vocalizing an opinion or successfuly fly by shutting myself up. Among his 'options,' i choose to be forced to shut up. And this is the way I am "protected" - by 'their' security check that dehumanizes 'my' physical and mental being. The distance between 'their' security and 'my' security.

No comments:

Post a Comment