Jan 30, 2011

Milwaukee

As long as I remain as a student, my status in the U.S. always remains temporary. Although there are moments and times that I am frustrated with my static legal status despite the ever-increasing number of years that I've been spending in the U.S. since January 2002, in general I am a happy foreigner and content to be a temporary resident in any place I live. Being a mover (unintentionally), the city itself never means much to me because I am not going to stay for long anyway.

Whenever I am moving from one place to another, as far as clothes go, I always pack everything down to 2 luggages. Stuff everything into two bags, and the rest goes to Goodwill. Similar with other items - I don't carry 'things I don't need' to a new place. They include wall posters, ornaments, text books, and clothes that I haven't worn at least for a year. I am obsessed with keeping everything light, erasing my trace, and leaving as I first came - light hearted and unexpecting. I put effort to be that way.

but Milwaukee makes me want to be part of its everyday scene. It is a city that has capacity to embrace the diversity of life. everyday life. Not all cities are like that. It is beautiful to see people trying to be lights for each other. The community invites people to take part in changes in small things that become bigger changes in society. There is a room for everybody to shine, moment to be joyful, and opportunity to evolve. What matters is the spirit of people instead of their income, skin color or social status.

At first, I thought I will change myself in Milwaukee. I will ask for forgiveness to the world, and be a change. but I was wrong. My whole attitude was not ready to embrace the true diversity of life. After all, the best I can do is to live everyday honestly and optimistically. When my heart is smiling at its root, the rest will take its place. slowly and gradually.

Of course, Milwaukee is not a paradise. There are crimes in Milwaukee. Poverty especially seems to be a serious issue because it reflects the racial segregation within the city. Debbie told me 60% of the black population in the Riverwest area is unemployed. That's more than half. Peggy told me racism in Milwaukee is s the deepest in nation. What happens to children? can they even afford a healthy breakfast? The extent of the limitation of choices of life style from poverty is truly disturbing.

but people in Milwaukee keep hoping and trying. I feel much blessed to experience the constant wave of hopes weaving in and out of communities. I didn't believe in hope before moving into Milwaukee. I believed in luck and hard work (paradox?). Since living in Milwaukee, I see hopes and their consequences everywhere I go. I am learning that hoping is after all more valuable than fulfilling. I am learning to hope and wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment